Patterson River Secondary College: Solar System Project
Addressing emerging skills gaps, through collaboration with educational institutions and industry is one of C4NET’s core strategic pillars
The Patterson River Secondary College (PRSC) Solar System project was developed to realise the College’s clean energy and STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) education ambitions. The data produced will also help PRSC plan how they can reach their energy goals and provide a wealth of data to be used by students to support their STEM classes and introduce them to opportunities in the energy sector.
In late 2021, PRSC installed a 96kW Solar PV System and Battery System to reduce costs, deliver better environmental outcomes and provide students with relevant, real-world data which is being incorporated into the curriculum at different levels.
To date, demonstrations of the multi-level use of the energy data include-
- Year 11 Physics students analysing and drawing conclusions on electrical generation and usage and to make predictions based on school usage and weather forecasts.
- Year 9 students have been analysing the impact of distance and angle of a light source and predicting the change in solar generation for different times of the day and year. The students can review the accuracy of their predictions with real time data from the system.
In addition to the investment in the solar PV and battery system, the College has installed approximately 75 reverse cycle air heating and cooling system, allowing the school to decommission an inefficient boiler hot water and heating system.
Key Outcomes (Feb-June 2022)
- Produced 31.9MWh of electricity
- Prevented 124.6 tonnes of Greenhouse gas emissions
- All classrooms fully climate controlled
- Saved $16,332 in gas bills
- Generated $5,104 of electricity
C4NET, together with The Victorian Government are proud to have supported the project, helping to educate the next generation of energy professionals by creating curriculum pathways for students into careers in renewable energy, energy efficiency and new energy technologies.